Since I get a lot of questions about the diet portion of my fitness journey, I wanted my first blog in my diet category to be a little broad. I can then in my future posts and after hearing more of your questions become more specific 🙂
So the main points I hit on my diet are as follows:
- I do not go out to eat Monday – Friday Lunch (Friday Evening starts my weekend!)
- I only drink water, coffee, crystal light, and maybe an occasional low calorie gatorade during the week. No sweet tea, no sodas, no alcohol, beer, wine or liquor. On the weekends (primarily only Friday evening and Saturday), I only normally add in a little wine, some vodka and maybe a few sugar free red bull’s. Every once in a while I’ll Sunday Funday, but usually after Friday evening and Saturday, I’m ready to get back to the grind on Sunday and start a fresh new week!
- Fresh fruits and vegetables are a total must every single day.
- I probably consume anywhere from 4-6 of the smoothies that I make weekly.
- Grant and I either cook for each other or cook together every evening of the week. Cooking at home cuts out so many extra calories, saves money and allows some great quality time!
- I do snack regularly, but I try to limit snacking once the evening time rolls around. Some of my favorite snacks are apples, bananas or celery dipped in peanut butter, almonds, fresh coconut flakes, strawberries and fat free cool whip, frozen berries warmed up with sugar free syrup, frozen grapes, protein pancakes, mushrooms and pretzels with hummus, mozzarella with tomato and balsamic vinaigrette, greek yogurt with flaxseed, and boiled eggs to name a few. I also love to make cabbage soup filled with all kinds of healthy veggies. Keeping that in the fridge always allows me to heat up a little bit if I’m needing something in between meals.
- When I don’t have time to cook, I love to keep Steam fresh sides by Birds Eye Brand in the freezer. I get them at Kroger and they have ranch flavored broccoli, siracha green beans, buffalo cauliflower and multiple protein blends.
- As far as seasonings go, I try to primarily use Mrs. Dash to keep the sodium as low as possible in my diet. They have so many yummy flavors! Some of my favorites include: Southwest Chipotle, Extra Spicy and Tomato Basil.
And just to give you what a normal week day food diary would look like for me, I wrote down everything I ate today.
Breakfast: Coffee and Homemade Smoothie filled with Kale, Spinach, Berries, Banana and Protein Powder. Watch my smoothie video tutorial here.
Lunch: Red Leaf Salad with boiled egg, bell pepper, 1/2 an avocado, some leftover salmon on top with olive oil and vinegar dressing.
Snack: 2 Celery sticks with Peanut Butter and a small handful of almonds.
Dinner: Grilled Lemon Pepper Chicken Breast, Asparagus with Crushed Red Pepper and Mushrooms cooked with worcestershire sauce. (Which by the way I don’t think I’ll EVER be able to spell that without looking at the bottle or typing something close enough for google to correct it for me!)
So I hope this overview gives you all a good overview of my diet. I will be sharing more recipes down the road, so let me know what questions you have below. After all, this blog is for YOU! Oh and I still need to do a diet based photo shoot, so stay tuned!